Thursday, May 27, 2010

3rd day - 356 miles


One day, two wheels, three high mountain passes and great weather to top - could it possibly get any better? Coming out of the Rockies the scenery became quickly drier. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison N. P. was truly awe inspiring. It's not as deep as it appears in the pictures to follow. It' much deeper!! Hard to imagine what the first humans that discovered it must have thought. With a late start and frequent stops to enjoy the awesome mountain views, I did not make my destination tonight. Best Western came to the rescue once again. Subway sandwich and 3 beers and I was out for the night.



Rocky Mountain High

Bill! I found Bongo Billy's hangout. Straight ahead just 3.5 miles on the left!

Aspen trees (sadly the photo does not do truth to the beautiful fresh juicy green of their leaves)

Last pass for the day! I guess I'm watering the Pacific from now on.

Gunnison River National Recreation Area with vulcanic cliffs.
Me and my newfound buddy.

This really is not as deep as it looks - IT'S MUCH DEEPER!!!

No matter how dry the climate - Nature always seems to find a way to add some color.
The Gunnison River at sunset

Leaving the High Mountains - Looking forward to the vast desserts.

1 comment: