Tuesday, June 8, 2010

15th day - 387 miles

With a bit of a hangover (the bottle of wine last night wouldn’t have anything to do with that?) I woke up this morning and couldn’t believe what peeked through my window. Sunshine! Quick shower and onto the bike. Things were supposed to get even better. In Newport I found a Starbucks Coffee. A great cup of java and a delicious cranberry orange scone made me totally forgot about yesterday’s torrential rains.
Refreshed I continued up the coast through an area that could be called the Oregon Riviera. Hotels, restaurants and tourist shops lined the highway for a long time. But then suddenly the scenery changed to the serene as I entered Netards Bay. While taking a little detour called the three capes scenic byway, I witnessed the kind of natural beauty that makes the Oregon coast famous.
After a late afternoon lunch paired with the local brand of wheat beer I was off towards the Oregon – Washington border at Astoria. Crossing the mighty Columbia River was a little nerve racking as the winds on the tall bridge got quite strong. As soon as I entered Washington State the landscape changed again. Beaches and cliffs were replaced by ocean sounds and inland marshes. Pushing on I reached Olympic National Park just as the sun was setting which provided for some nice photo opportunities.

View of Yaquina River Bridge from below.
Life is good....

Dunes in the Siuslaw National Forest.

Netards Bay.

Cape Meares.

Tillamook Bay.

Built to suit.

Blackened Salmon Caesar Salad - Yum!

Columbia River Bridge.

Tidal marsh in Washington State.

Marsh at low tide.


Just don't cross the road...

Foxgloves are lining the side of the road.

South Bay in Washington State.

Sunset in Olympic N.P.


Shingles.

Evening sun illuminating fern like plants on the side of the road.

Driftwood

Sunset on Ruby Beach.


Fog rising from a meadow in the Olympic N.P.



1 comment:

  1. Matthias, I catch up with you in 5 day chunks. Man, you're doing great! I feel like I am Berry, getting to tag along. Keep the flower pictures coming (fun at Bob's expense). With all the fabulous photos it's hard for me to pick my favorite...don't be surprised...it's the side of the barn. That one reminds me of Jasper Johns paintings of the American states http://www.metmuseum.org/special/jasper_johns/view_1.asp?item=10&view=l

    i'm with you on this trip! thanks. keith

    ReplyDelete