Friday, June 18, 2010

25th day - 248 miles

Great day today! Watched bald headed eagles play, saw my first glacier, rode my bike through a railroad tunnel and had the best fish fry ever. And it did not rain!
The day started out with one of the most amazing views one could possibly have from a hotel room. After packing up and reluctantly leaving I observed a bald headed fishing in the low tidal waters of the Homer Spit. As I was following the majestic bird with my camera another eagle came into the picture and than two more. What a fortune to be able to see this!
Riding back north on the Kenai Peninsula I entered the Chugach Mountains again. But this time I took a detour towards Seward, gateway to the Kenai Fjords National Park and the Exit Glacier. Hiking the three mile up the mountain in full riding gear was a chore but well worth it. The fact that my heavy motorcycle boots were wet for the past 6 days played out well. They got much softer and flexible. So walking with them was almost like having hiking boots on. Almost!
The glaciers is one of the most accessible ones in the world and visitors from all over the world take advantage to see it. What an amazing scenery!
After I crossed Moose Pass again I went further north into the Chugach just to make another turn down to Whittier. The only way to reach this little fishing village is by boat or tunnel. Because of its deep water harbor at the end of Prince Williams Sound, a railroad line was constructed to transport material to Alaska’s interior. But in order to pass the steep glacier lined mountains that surround Whittier a tunnel had to be excavated. This very narrow tunnel is shared today with automobiles and, yes, motorcycles. What an experience.
After paying 12 dollars entry fee I had to go through a lengthy instruction. Drive no more than 25 miles an hour, beware of the huge ventilation fans at the entrance and exit that will shake your bike a bit, stay between the narrow tracks at all time and beware that the concrete between the tracks will be wet and slippery. Wow!
Traffic alternates every half an hour up and down the tunnel because there is only one lane. I had to go last because bikes are most likely to crash according to my “Tunnel Instructor”. A nice kid named Young from Whittier, who complained that even though his town is one of the prettiest places to live in, the lack of women made it less desirable so. He also told me to pay the Stillwater CafĂ© a visit if I’m in the mood for the best seafood in town. Great advice! Thanks Young!!
 
 
View from my room at 1:30am. That's how dark it gets. Hard to get some sleep!

Same view in the morning with the sun breaking through. I'd like to wake up to this every day!

Lighthouse on the Spit. Conveniently attached to a pub.

Restaurants and shops on the Spit.

"Did you see him getting that big fish? Ridiculous!"

Preferred transportation in Alaska.

Divorce Alaskan way. Cut the house in half. Park the truck in between.

Typical scenery on the lower Kenai Peninsula.

Lupines are lining the road all over Alaska.

First view of the Chugach mountains.

View over Kenai Lake.

 
Exit Glacier.

Closeups.
I left my heavy jacket on the way.

View of the valley with glacier run off.

High river marsh in the Chugach.

Glacier lake with floating ice close to the tunnel.

The Swiftwater Cafe. Great food!
Fog rising from the mountains over Whittier.

Whittier harbor with low hanging clouds.

Little flowers of the boardwalk.

The Portage Tunnel. (from the internet - Another rule, don't take pictures while you ride through it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment