Tuesday, June 1, 2010

8th day - 405 miles

Desert Day! Through the Mojave and Joshua Tree N.P. Man was it hot.  First I got stuck on the Highway out of Las Vegas for 40 miles. 2 hours only stop and go. Then finally off the Interstate into the Mojave Desert. As the road went down into the valley temperature rose to over 100 degrees - IN THE SHADE!! There is no shade. Period! After passing through the stunning desert vistas of Joshua tree I passed by the Salton Sea, a huge lake reservoir that turned very salty due to extreme evaporation.  It's so salty, that my eyes were tearing riding by it. Then up 3000 feet into the mountains and down towards San Diego. Beautiful ride at Sunset. As I got up in elevation the flora changed dramatically. Joshua trees changed into big leafy trees that I have never seen. Cactus into Cypresses that oozed a smell of vanilla and exotic spices. Oregano, Sage  and other herbal smells filled the air around me.  Maybe because the desert has no smell at all my senses were heightened.  Great experience!

Into the Mojave Desert National Preserve

Joshua Trees



Roy's Motel & Gas stop on historical Route 66

Roy's is the only service stop for 50 miles each way. A little overpriced but service (full service) was great.

This is proof that it always can get drier.  No matter what you think.

Salt flats.

This is how it's harvested. First they excavate a ditch. Than saltwater collects and evaporates. All that's left is the salt waiting for being scooped up.

Joshua Tree N.P.


Strange Rock Formations can be found throughout Joshua Tree.

Ocotillo Tree.
Get me off this Teddybear cholla. I thought it was as soft as me. (The name is really Teddybear cholla)

Flowering Ocotilla tree.

My favorite street sign.  Keep them coming.

The high country above San Diego at sunset.

2 comments:

  1. Matthias, Yes, Greeley has it bad smells-wise. Your pictures of Las Vegas make even me want to go. pictures, captions, and blogs are wonderful! Thanks for taking us along. love, keith and kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots and your commentary are both great. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete