Wednesday, June 16, 2010

23rd day - 402 miles

Okay, here it is. I chickened out. 25 miles into my final leg of this trip I changed my mind. Being 5 days behind in my schedule and seeing rain clouds moving in again... Considering 31 degree Fahrenheit in Deadhorse and hordes of mosquitoes the size of little birds... Knowing that the 4 days I would save by turning south could be used to spend in the much more scenic Kenai Peninsula...
Okay, maybe I did chicken out! But it sucks being cold & wet, especially if there is no nice place to stay and warm up. So for everyone that feels cheated, here is a link for you to see what you missed:

Dalton Highway Link

Let's move on! Once I made my decision to turn south, I looked forward to meet Denali (Athabaskan for "The Great One"), or also known as Mount McKinley, the highest mountain in the USA. But once again, as soon as I entered the mountain range the clouds thickened and it started raining. The Great One was nowhere to be found.
Next stop Anchorage. Passed through Wassila, host to Sarah Palin's mayor ship before she moved on to become Alaska's governor, and rain all the way. Cold, wet, tired and disappointed! Good night!


A look back towards the valley near Fairbanks.

Rain again? Give me a break!

There goes the view!

Same on the other side of the road!

And I'm not happy!!

View of Mount McKinley.

Maybe if I zoom in a bit more? No still nothing!

Thanks Wikipedia for providing a view of the "Great One".

The dreaded highway construction. Usual wait time 30 minutes. In the rain!

3 comments:

  1. OY! You're a rugged one. Pictures are pleasant for us in our protected places. Your reality has its down side, apparently. Sorry for you disappointments. Fear not, you are certain to have many more wonderful times ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weather isn't always playing in our favour. Just enjoy the wonderful adveture you are at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After looking through the link for the Dalton Hwy I can certainly see why going south was the right decision. I wouldn't want to be in such a remote place alone in bad weather especially while fighting the clock! I admire your resilience in all you've done so far. Keep adventuring for us!

    ReplyDelete