Tuesday, June 1, 2010

9th day - 236 miles

I stayed last night in Chula Vista, a suburb of San Diego, just 10 minutes from the border to Mexico. Once I entered Border Field State Park, there were 2 helicopters above and Border Control Officers in their Jeeps dashing in and out. As I found out just a little bit later, the park is closed for vehicles during the week. Well I guess I must have missed that sign. True! I stick with that story - just as I told the unfriendly officers that stopped me. When they asked me what nationality I have, I answered truthfully - German. Their eyes lit up, as they must have thought that they got one (of those illegal immigrants). It didn't seem to make a difference to them that this would be the most unlikely place for a German to illegally cross the border. They stepped into action. And only after I produced my Green Card and Identification they started to relax. After I convinced them that I carried only camping equipment and clothes in my bags they let me go - just short of my goal to get to the MOST southern point. Oh well. The rest of the day was uneventful. First 120 miles of highway to get out of the metropolitan area around Los Angeles and than 130 miles through the desert again passing Edwards Air Force Base and all the other Air Force installation located in this most boring and flat desert valley. Not much photo opportunities. Tonight I'm staying in the foothills of  the Sierra and hope for a change in scenery.

No sign and the dirt road to the left gets me around to where I want to go...

Oops! Trouble is approaching.

A sympathetic State Park employee offered to take this photo.  Thanks!

Wild flowers in the park.


This has to serve as proof. 1 mile short of the very most southern point.

Pete, what kind of tree is this? Gorgeous purple flowers and no leaves.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are absoluty fantastic. We're sitting here with open mouths ;) Looking forwards to the next report and watching you on findmespot :)

    Greetings, Dany and Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matz! I finally got a gmail account that allows me to comment on your journey! I loved the story of the immigration officers chasing you down near the border. A German Thelma or Louise! Hilarious. I love Joshua Tree. Aren't those rocks fantastic! I am so glad you saw that place. It's pretty much in my backyard from Havasu City. Keep on bikin! We love the blog!

    ReplyDelete