Sunday, June 27, 2010

34th day - 736 miles

Let me get right to the most exciting thing that happened to me on this trip.

I SAW A GRIZZLY BEAR!!!

Ten minutes before I got to my final destination in Dease Lake, British Columbia, there he was (or her?). First I only saw its back and thought it was another buffalo. But then when I stopped and the bear raised his head to look at me…WOW!
Besides me seeing A GRIZZLY, not much else happened. I rode over 700 miles today and almost ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere because the one gas station on this road closed at 6:00PM. Thank god, because it forced me to try to make it to the next station 85 miles away in Dease Lake where I saw the GRIZZLY BEAR. Are you getting my excitement?


Yukon steamboat.

Along the Klondike Trail.

Back over the Continental Divide. This time with much better weather.
Great scenery. But no gas!
The road is getting smaller and smaller and I'm getting a little bit worried about my fuel level.

10PM and still bright.

I think the bear is Greek. He likes dandelions.

2 comments:

  1. Dude! Run or ride! Lewis and Clark marvelled at these creatures, especially how you could shoot them several times and they continued to charge! Here's another great instance of your providing joy (picture of the bear) and sparing pain (fear, or actual pain). Just yesterday in the Tribune there was an article about a wonderful and interesting man...who had been mauled to death by a Grizzly! Cool. Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthias, that grizzly sure looks fierce, like Royal without wine! Do they show the soccer matches up there? Germany is doing great up to this point! The landscape looks absolutely spectacular, but I dont see any Realtor signs ! I guess no shortsales or foreclosures up in Alaska. Stay safe, do not get too close to Grizzly, no matter what Nationality he might be, could be a Republican!Regina

    ReplyDelete