Wednesday, June 30, 2010

37th day - 534 miles

My GPS played a trick on me to today. Last night while checking the condition of my bike I realized with horror that the Alaskan roads ate up my rear tire much sooner than I thought. Usually I get more than 10,000 miles out of one rear tire. This one is past its lifespan after only 7,000. Way past! So when I asked my GPS where the next BMW dealer is it kindly provided an address in Missoula, Montana. It also showed 332 miles for distance. After calling and arranging a tire change at about 4:00pm that day, I started my day relieved of the worries that tire issue caused me. But as I started following the route the GPS provided, the distance seemed to be getting longer and longer. To make a long story short, I arrived in Missoula at 9:00pm after 534 miles and a back tire that’s just hanging on a thread. The initial distance the GPS was indicating, was as the crow flies. So now I was cheated out of a scenic ride through the mountains and have to wait until tomorrow for service.
Weather was another issue today. As I entered Montana from Canada past the usual kind border control (this time I got finger printed - again!!), dark, mysterious clouds started to develop. Half an hour later as I climbed up the top of a small bluff it blew me almost off my bike when I reached the top. I quickly turned around and rushed back to the small gas station I just passed by. Branches started to come down from trees and the fresh cut hay started to take off from the field and blew by me. Believe me - the open garage door of the service station looked like the friendliest place ever in that moment. Without thinking twice, I rode right into the station as the owner quickly closed the door behind me. Thanks for the hospitality!
After checking into my hotel and taking a shower, it started all over again. This time with pigeon egg sized hail - lots of it. Fortunately, the front desk offered to let me park my bike under the front door canopy roof.
I guess after all I had a pretty lucky day.


 
Mountain on the way out of Banff.

This is the scenery just 20 minutes later. If you think riding through Iowa & Nebraska is boring... try Alberta & Montana.

Montana grasslands with clouds organizing into a storm.

Those colours are the ones you see just before a tornado...

Shall I go or shall I stay...

Just after the storm passed... it is 4:30pm.

After the rain.
Endless seaming roads in Montana.

Getting back into the mountains on my way to Missoula.

The sun peaks through the clouds providing some weird lighting.

A double rainbow on the horizon.

Dry brush with cattle in West Montana.

5 minutes after the hail started.

No comments:

Post a Comment