Thursday, June 17, 2010

24th day - 287 miles

I’m in Homer, Alaska! Or to be more exact, at the very end of the Homer Spit a 4.5 mile long piece of land that reaches out into Kachemak Bay. My hotel is located at the very end of the spit and the room (with balcony) is looking out onto the bay with a view that's hard to describe. I guess incredible would be a good word.
Homer is the Halibut Capital of the world! But today I had my first King Salmon. Delicious! It was carefully grilled and was complemented by a light lime and peach cream sauce. With that I had a glass of perfect Red Zinfandel. Yeah, that makes you forget all the rain in the world.
My day started in Eagle River, starting point of the famous Iditarod dog sled race. After a little detour up the Eagle River Valley into the Chugach State Park, I had to pay the local BMW dealer in Anchorage a visit. Because I didn’t have an appointment, I was only able to buy parts for the maintenance needed and had to replace the brake pads in the parking lot myself. Hopefully the weather will break so I can adjust my valves and change the oil soon as the bike starts to vibrate a bit.
From Anchorage I continued down the Sterling Highway which ends at Homer. Sadly, as I left the Chugach National Forest with its beautiful mountain scenery, it started to rain and visibility changed to zero. Hopefully there will be more photo opportunities on the way back.


Eagle River in the Chugach State Park.

Please help me!?

Fishing season started on the Russian River.

"Why is everybody standing in the water? Much better view from up here!"

Well fed and happy!

Washed up sea weed on the beach.

View from my room.

Plants growing on the pebble beach.

Fishing boat in Kachemak Bay.

The Homer Spit. (Courtesy of the internet)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the awesome picture of the washed up seaweed. I loved ithat picture and the picture of the plants on the pebble beach.
    Have fun in Alaska,
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mattz
    These pictures are just stunning. The real North. You're reminding me of Jack London.I have been down in New Mexico, and I have sworn off the Internet while I am here, for the most part, but you I am making an exception for. I love the description of those eagles. And the photos of the glacier, and the little otters at play. You are out there at the edge of the world! What a great thing! I am getting a lot of painting done and enjoying the dry New Mexican heat. Drive safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey take some pictures of fishing boats for me Mattz! I want to have some reference photos to draw from, and I love those boats!

    ReplyDelete